Tuesday, August 7, 2012

August 7, 2012



Dear Family
So right now this girl who's going to China is talking to someone. She is saying she is an MTC pro because she's been here for 7 or 8 weeks and how she knows everything about the MTC. Little does she know I've been here since before she was born. Ok not quite that long. just a few more weeks and I'll be in Germany. 

So, the General Chaplin was the guy who gave the Forum at BYU we found out. It was so cool. Gordon B Hinckley's son, Elder Hinckley, was supposed to come but he didn't. Anyways President Brown (MTC president) asked me how I got my call. So I told the story, but then the Generals wife asked me how I knew it was the right place for me. So I bore testimony that the prophet received revelation where I should go and how the Holy Ghost has born whitness to me that this is the will of God. The spirit was so strong during that. I felt on top of the world. So that was my first real Missionary experience with a non-member. 

Oh, and tomorrow we are meeting with Germany's national radio, Deutschland Funk (germany radio). They are interviewing my district again. Haha two visits from non-members in two weeks. Anyways what we say has the potential to be heard by tens of millions of people.  About 9 out of 10 times the media is very positive to missionaries. So, hopefully this will be heard by some people who need to hear the gospel and bring them closer to Christ. I have the opportunity to really help people. I'm so excited. I want a good question. not easy and not super negative. Sometimes they'll ask super hard questions about polygamy or blacks and the priesthood. So hopefully that won't happen. And if it does there is someone from church headquarters coming who works on the Church PR who can take the super hard questions. That way we don't screw up. A few months ago some Japanese reporters talked to some missionaries and one said "yes, I'll vote for Romney. I'll vote for anyone that's Mormon". What a stupid answer. You should vote for who you want based on policy not on personal religious views. That could have stopped some people from joining the church. In the Book of Mormon, the government is run by Chief Judges not the prophet. If the people didn't want a leader who was in the church they didn't need one. It's the same way today.  Oh well either way I'm excited to be a part of this interview. Maybe that's why I stayed behind. To help people by answering them through the radio. It's been my district twice, none of the others in the zone.

Oh I should probably end with a salutation.
Salutations my family
I love you
Elder Devon Kinghorn of Highland Utah