Thursday, June 21, 2012

Devon's Soccer Experience & Surgery Monday

So last Thursday I was playing soccer and had a little scuffle. I went to the doctor and he referred me to get an MRI this morning. Well I got the MRI and well, my knee isn't doing so well. I have slight meniscus damage. And my LCL is partially torn and my ACL is torn all the way. Oh, by the way, bone is also crushed.  It could be worse, my knee cap isn't shattered.  It looks cool from the x-ray.  That's okay.
I'm really not in pain right now.  It's all good; no Ibuprofen.  I'm walking around.  I'm doing quite fine.  My knee is stiff.  I have a flexibility issue, but it's getting better.  The hope is to have a full range of motion by Monday so that he can do the surgery.  I do 20 minutes of stretching of my knee morning and night.

The doctor seems very smart.  He gave me a few options on the surgery and suggestions.  I am going to use a graft from my hamstring.  I'll lose a tiny bit of strength in my leg pulling when my knee is almost all the way bent.  But, hey, it's the type of graft that football players take because that little strength is never used.  And it's the strongest graft.

Um...Doctor said 8 weeks minimum to heal.  Past missionaries were 9.  That's 9 weeks and I'm a missionary that can do anything but play on P-Day.  

Everything that happens has it's purpose and the Lord has something in store for me though this. I don't know yet but someday I will. Don't worry, I'm not in any pain right now. I'm still having fun and learning a lot. And two members of my branch presidency are radiologists so they will be good to hear from also. But yea, I'm fine don't worry. Just thought you'd like to know about that.  I will be needing surgery. 

I'll most likely be able to stay in the MTC and rehab here.  Then go out with the missionaries that leave in 9 weeks.  Hopefully, but it's fine now.  I can walk on it; no pain.  I'll send you the MRI in a letter today.  I have a copy on c.d. and you'll need to use a c.d drive, so you can't use Dad's new laptop.

Alma 26:27 has helped me out a lot.  
"Now when our hearts were depressed, and we were about to turn back, behold, the Lord comforted us, and said: Go amongst thy brethren, the Lamanites, and bear with patience thine afflictions, and I will give unto you success."


I love you
    Elder Devon Kinghorn

He will have his operation on Monday.  On day 4 he can resume his classes.  He'll go to physical therapy 3 times a week.   He will continue learning with his district until the rest of them leave for Germany.  He will then go work at the Call Center, which is a great place to be.  We know that the Lord loves us, and has a plan for each of us.   We feel very blessed that he can continue on and doesn't have to come home.  When his knee is stronger, they will send him off to Germany.