Monday, July 16, 2012

July 16, 2012


Guten Tag Mine Familie,

So today is PDay because my district leaves to Germany tomorrow morning. It's kind of sad watching them leave but oh well, I should be able to leave soon. Whenever the Lord needs me to leave. The physical therapist thinks it will be 2 or 3 weeks. Not bad for ACL surgery. 

So yesterday at the fireside Jenny Oaks Baker came and "spoke". She played songs on the violin and then gave spiritual messages in between songs. She was so freaking good. The violin is so pretty. I wish I could play like that. Then again, if I could I'd be one of the best in the world. Near the end of the Fireside her small children came out and played "I am a Child of God" ages 5-10: piano, violin, guitar, and cello. Haha remember when the H. daughters played?

So I have some bad news about my zone. An elder was playing soccer and he tore his platella tendon. His knee is enormous. He isn't sure if he needs surgery. He might be going home. I feel so bad for him. I know what it's like not knowing if you'll go home or not. He is looking optimistic but I know what he's going through. It's really, really hard. I hope he is able to stay and just do rehab here. I guess we will see what the future holds for him. I wonder why they allow soccer. So many knee injuries. Three or four torn ACL's in the past month. The week before me an elder broke his leg. Basketball just has sprained ankles, which isn't so bad compared to knee surgery. 

Oh, I forgot to tell you. My right thigh and calf are so tiny. I think that they might be smaller than Tanya's. Ok, maybe not, but it's close. There's nothing there! Well, some has grown back in the last week because I'm only on one crutch. Hopefully tomorrow my physical therapist Dan will let me use no crutches. It's a very professional place. They know what they're doing and it's fun so don't worry. I'm in good hands. 

What else is there. Oh, so two of my suit pants are ruined from the brace. Oh well I have two pairs I haven't worn in a long while. I'll just have to buy some more pants in Germany. The velcro just eats away at the pants. It's kind of funny. I have soft spots on my pants. It's not as bad as Elder L. So, his pants got a hole in them from the dry cleaners. So, they gave him some new pants. The problem is he wears a 30 or 32 waist and these are 36's tailored to him. So they are super- baggy. And in Europe baggy isn't really in style. Oh well. He was planning on buying his second suit in Germany from the beginning so it's not bad. 

And it's been super-super hot here. And the air-conditioning in our building doesn't work so well. We have two fans and everyone is dying from the heat. When we go into another building we remember what it's like to have a classroom that's 95 degrees. Or celcius 36. I think I'll be good at transitioning over to celcius. See, Science does come in handy. I can know what the temperature will be like in Germany from the weather report. Instead of just having to guess from looking outside. That is if I get a weather report. Newspapers aren't exactly delivered to missionaries. But I'm sure I'll have a heads up on what the weather will be like. 

Oh, I have full range of motion and I can walk with a small limp. Not bad for three weeks out of surgery. I thought I'd add that to the end of my letter. I have no knee pain just it's hard to get comfortable sometimes.
I love you and I pray for you
Elder Devon Kinghorn